The best free multimedia player. That's the best definition of VLC Player, capable of playing the vast majority of multimedia file formats, as well as DVDs, audio CDs, VCDs and different streaming protocols. It started back in the mid-90s' as an academic project, but nowadays it's considered a reference way ahead of other alternatives like DivX Player, SMPlayer, BSPlayer or KMPlayer.
# Access:. Fix DVB-S delivery system detection # Audio Output:. Fix playback initial synchronization with PulseAudio (however similar bugs in PulseAudio version 2.0 and later st. VLC media player 3.0.16 can be downloaded from our website for free. The common filenames for the program's installer are vlc.exe, FLVPlayer.exe, vlc BD.exe, vlc v2.1.0.exe or vlc2.exe etc. This free program is a product of VideoLAN. Our antivirus check shows that this download is malware free. VLC media player. 4.2 on 19679 votes. VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well.
Is VLC the most stable and versatile player for Windows?
Well, it possibly is; VLC Media Player offers us great stability and versatility as it's capable of playing almost any multimedia file that can be played. And it does so thanks to its own codecs that prevents it from having continuously search for updates on the Internet. Its great reputation has led it to have other platforms such as Mac, Linux, iPhone, and Android.
The best multimedia player ist totally free.
Main functions and features
The main functions of this player are very broad and go beyond the features offered by others that can be considered as its rivals, as is the case of GOM Player that, despite not being a bad program, lacks quite a few of its functions:
- Compatible with many different audio and video formats: DivX, H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC, Cinepak, Sorenson 1/3 (Quicktime), DV (Digital Video), WMV, MP3, AAC, FLAC, Wavpack, MIDI, DV Audio, or REAL AUDIO.
- No need to download additional codecs.
- Supports different subtitle formats.
- Plays incomplete videos.
- Comes along with a streaming server and client to play videos on the Internet.
- Allows you to apply filters to videos to generate different effects, distort images and much more.
Advanced controls for a full customization
The program's configuration options offer the user total freedom as almost any aspect of VLC Player can be customized: playing, audio, subtitle tracks, channels, etc.
In turn, the tools menu not only allows us to adjust any aspect of the file being played but also the interface so as to adapt it to the preferences of each user. Its design is precisely one of the most appealing aspects of the program. Not all developers of this kind of software are aware that the simpler the better. In VLC we'll find a sober interface and design with no frills that allow us to pay more attention to the contents than to the container.
Ready for any version of Windows
And not only will we come across 32 and 64-bit versions of this player for Windows 7 or 10, that are so essential nowadays, but you can also download it for outdated computers such as those running XP, Windows 95, 98 or Me.
What formats does VLC play?
As we've already said, it's definitely one of the most versatile players. It can read multimedia formats for video, audio, and image and sound transmission, as well as tags and subtitles:
- Video formats: MPEG-1/2, DivX, MPEG-4 ASP, DivX, XviD, 3ivX D4, H.261, H.263 / H.263i, H.264 / MPEG-4, AVC, Cinepak, Theora, Dirac / VC-2, MJPEG (A/B), WMV, VC-1 1, QuickTime, Digital Video, On2, Indeo Video v3 and Real Video.
- Audio formats: MPEG, MP3, AAC, Vorbis, AC3, E-AC-3, MLP, DTS, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, Speex, MPC, ATRAC 3, Wavpack, Mod, TrueAudio, APE, Real Audio, Alaw, AMR, MIDI, LPCM, ADPCM, QCELP, DV Audio. QuickTime and MACE.
- Sound and image transmission formats: UDP/RTP Unicast and Multicast, HTTP, FTP, MMS, TCP/RTP Unicast, DCCP/RTP Unicast, DVD Video, VCD, SVCD, Audio CD, DVB, and MPEG. That can broadcast the following formats: MPEG, AVI, ASF, WMV, WMA, MP4, MOV, 3GP, OGG, OGM, Annodex, Matroska (MKV), Real, WAV, Raw Audio, RAW Digital Video, FLAC, FLV (Flash), MXF, Nut, Standard MIDI and Creative Voice.
- Subtitle formats: DVD, text files, Vobsub, USF, SVCD, DVB, OGM, CMML, and Kate.
- Tag formats: ID3, APEv2, and Vorbis comment.
New in the latest version
- Fixes problems with HLS streams.
- Fixes MP4 audio problems.
- Adds support for SSA text scaling.
- Adds NFSv4 compatibility.
- Improves SMB2 integration.
- Smoothens Direct3D11 rendering.
- Fixes different bugs.
- Implements security fixes.
- Minimum operating system requirements: Windows XP SP3.
Pick a software title...to downgrade to the version you love!
VLC Media Player 2.0.0 Change Log
- Rewritten video output core and modules, allowing subpicture blending in GPU.
- Shader support in the OpenGL output, for colorspace conversion, including 10bits.
- New video outputs for Windows 7, Android, iOS and OS/2.
- New debanding, grain, denoising and anti-flickering filters.
- New deinterlacing filter, including an Inverse Telecine algorithm.
- New resamplers for higher quality audio.
- New dynamic range compressor and karaoke filters.
- Simplification of the audio core for faster processing.
- New audio outputs for iOS, Android and OS/2.
- Multi-threaded decoding for H.264, MPEG-4/Xvid and WebM.
- Support for 10bits codecs, WMV image and some other codecs.
- Rewritten support for images, including jpeg, png, xcf, bmp...
- Important changes in RealVideo and Real Format support.
- CrystalHD cards and Android OpenMAX support for hardware decoding.
INPUT AND DEVICES
- Experimental support for BluRay discs:
- Menus are deactivated in this release (will come soon).
- AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys are not shipped, for legal reasons.
- Support for SDI capture cards and QTKit devices.
- Support for new adaptive streaming protocols, like HLS and DASH.
FOR MAC USERS
- Completely new, single window interface:
- - Available in 2 colors: Lion grey and QTX black.
- - Extensions support and better Lion integration.
- Support for all QTKit devices through qtcapture and qtsound modules.
- Continued support for X 10.5 and PPC users (1080p and ProRes on Dual-G5!).
FOR ANIME FANS
- Vastly improved MKV demuxer.
- Rewritten linked segments and ordered chapter files support.
- Correct support for FLAC, RV and Hi10p in MKV.
- Rewritten seeking support in cue files.
- Various ASS subtitles improvements.
FOR PROFESSIONAL USERS
- Support for ProRes 422 and 4444, AVC/Intra.
- Support for Jpeg-2000 and DNxHD/VC-3 in 10bits.
- Support for EBU subtitles (stl) and EIA-608.
- SDI and HD-SDI card support for input on Linux.
- New Dirac/VC-2 encoder, faster than the previous one.
- libVLC, libVLCcore and libcompat have switched from GPL to LGPLv2.1+.
- New libVLC examples are available: media player, photobooth and mediainfo clones.
- New JSON requests on the web interface to control running VLC instances.
- Implementation of the MPRIS2 interface to control media players.
- VLC's web plugins have been rewritten for better integration and stability in all browsers